Posted on 07. May, 2014 in News
Denis Napthine’s budget doesn’t do enough to fix the schools his Liberal Government abandoned.
Parents won’t be fooled by his last-minute catch up, it’s too little, too late. Denis Napthine’s only priority is the election, not our children’s education.
Denis Napthine has a shocking report card, with hundreds of millions in cuts to programs like Reading Recovery, the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) and the School Start Bonus.
Quotes attributable to Mr Merlino:
“Denis Napthine’s only priority is an election, not our children’s education.”
“Across Victoria schools are falling apart. You can’t get a first rate education in a second rate school”
“Under Denis Napthine and the Liberals our schools and students are on their own.”
• The Napthine Government abandoned Labor’s plan to renovate, rebuild or modernise every Victorian government school.
• The Napthine Government has only spent a statewide average of $278 million a year on capital works compared to an average spend of $467 million by Labor in its last term in office.
• Many projects were abandoned by the Liberals halfway through rebuilding and schools don’t have the funds to finish the job.
The Budget shows
• Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) – Scrapped. The Budget revealed the full implications of this cut, $24.8 million a year.
• A decrease in the number of school students participating in accredited vocational programs by more than 1000, from 45,907 in 2012-13 to 44,859 in 2013-14.
• A decrease in the number of school based apprentices/trainees from a target of 4500 in 2013-14 and to only 3566 apprentices/trainees.