Posted on 07. May, 2014 in News
Denis Napthine and the Liberals have left our TAFE system in pieces and this Budget won’t put it back together again.
Under Denis Napthine, TAFE fees have skyrocketed, courses have been cut, campuses have closed, and regional TAFEs have been forced to merge.
With a high rate of youth unemployment, especially among Victoria’s youth, skills and training have never been more important.
Only Labor will support our TAFE campuses and give young people the skills they need to start their career.
Quotes attributable to Mr Herbert:
“The worst time to cut TAFE is right now, when our economy is struggling and youth unemployment is at an all-time high.”
“So many students, workers and communities rely on their local TAFE campuses but there is nothing in Denis Napthine’s Budget to undo the damage.”
“Under Denis Napthine and the Liberals, you’re on your own.”
• The Napthine Government cut $1.2 billion from TAFE.
• Apprenticeship and traineeship enrolments have dropped 4 and 35 per cent respectively.
• TAFE institutes’ share of government-subsidised training has dropped 3 per cent, Learn Local centres’ by 8 per cent and dual sector universities and TAFEs by 24 per cent.
• If elected, Labor will fund TAFEs to deliver their Community Service Obligations to ensure they can support the most disadvantaged to access training.
The Budget shows:
• The target for apprenticeship/traineeship commencement dropped from 51,000 in 2013/14 to 40,000 for 2014/15.
• The number of government funded course enrolments in diploma level or above in 2013/14 had a target of 94000, new target for 2014/15 is only 63400.
• Participation rate of 15-24 year olds in training in Victoria decreased from 36.6 per cent in 2012-13 to 33.2 per cent in 2013-14.