Posted on 31. Mar, 2014 in News
Tony Abbott’s Liberal Government will slash $277 million from Victoria’s hospitals, heaping more pressure on a system already in crisis.
Of all the states and territories, Tony Abbott has hit Victoria hardest.
The money Tony Abbott will rip out of the system could:
• Clear the elective surgery waiting list by funding 52,000 elective surgery procedures; or
• Employ 3,000 nurses; or
• Open 500 new hospital beds.
Quotes attributable to Mr Andrews:
“Denis Napthine’s cuts were bad enough, now Tony Abbott is slashing $277 million from Victoria’s hospitals.
“Denis Napthine has already plunged Victorian hospitals into crisis, with clogged emergency departments, ambulances taking too long to reach people in emergencies and more patients waiting longer than ever for surgery.
“As usual the Liberals always cut the services that families need. Victoria deserves better.”
• Denis Napthine has already slashed $826 million from Victorian Hospitals.
• The Royal Children’s Hospital’s funding will be slashed by $12 million. This could fund 2200 surgeries or 129 nurses.
• Victoria will be the hardest hit of any state or territory:
o Victoria – $277 million slashed
o NSW – $203 million slashed
o Queensland – $99 million slashed
o Western Australia – $84 million increase
o South Australia – $26 million slashed
o Tasmania – $27 million slashed
o ACT – $12 million slashed
o Northern Territory $3.3 million increase