FIRE ACTION WEEK BUT STILL NO ACTION FROM O’BRIEN

Posted on 18. Nov, 2011 in News

After almost two months and as Victorians head into this year’s bushfire season, the Baillieu-Ryan Government is still refusing to release the Powerlines Bushfire Safety Taskforce’s final report, Shadow Minister for Energy Lily D’Ambrosio said today.

“While Victorians are preparing their homes, properties and businesses against bushfires and the Government’s Fire Action Week campaign concludes, Mr O’Brien is silent on how he plans to reduce the risk from powerlines,” Ms D’Ambrosio said.

“The taskforce delivered the final report to Mr O’Brien on September 30 and since then he has refused to discuss the report and refused to make it public.

“Labor understands the report flags cutting power to large sections of the State for extended periods of time.

“This follows the Baillieu Government’s pre-election commitment to implement all of the Royal Commission’s recommendations, which include the switching-off of power to parts of regional Victoria on days of high fire danger.

“Extended power outages will have significant impacts on senior Victorians, emergency communications and regional industry.

“As Victoriaheads heads into this year’s bushfire season, the public needs to know what Mr O’Brien plans to do.”

Ms D’Ambrosio said Mr O’Brien had mishandled the powerlines safety issue – a key recommendation of the Bushfire Royal Commission.

“The report was due in August but delayed until September. It’s now November, it’s Fire Action Week, and Mr O’Brien still won’t release the report,” she said.

“Instead of hiding from the issue, Mr O’Brien and Mr Baillieu should be talking to the community about what options they are looking at and how much it is going to cost taxpayers.”

 

 

 

Comments are closed.