STATEMENT FROM THE PREMIER REGARDING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FINAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL COMMISSION

STATEMENT FROM THE PREMIER REGARDING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FINAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL COMMISSION

Posted on 20. Jul, 2010 in News

Premier John Brumby today outlined arrangements for the distribution to the Victorian public of the final report of the Royal Commission inquiring into the 2009 Victorian bushfires.  

The Victorian Government established a Royal Commission with the broadest possible terms of reference to inquire into every aspect of the 2009 Victorian bushfires in which 173 people lost their lives.

The Royal Commission is scheduled to deliver its final report to the Governor on Saturday 31 July, 2010.

“I will immediately release the final report once I have received it from the Governor,” Mr Brumby said.

The following will occur on Saturday, 31 July:

  • The Royal Commission will hand its final report to the Governor of Victoria, David de Kretser, AC at Government House;
  • The Victorian Government will receive the report from the Governor;
  • The Premier will deliver the report to the Victorian Parliament; and
  • The final report will then be available to the Victorian public.

 

All of this is expected to occur by around midday on Saturday 31 July. 

Once the final report has been tabled on Saturday, it will then be available to the Victorian public. The report will be available online at www.royalcommission.vic.gov.au and also at www.vic.gov.au.

The report will also be available in hard copy to read at Information Victoria, 505 Little Collins Street, Melbourne.

Copies to be delivered by mail during early August can be pre-ordered from the Victorian Government by visiting www.vic.gov.au or by calling 1800 463 684.

The Government will carefully consider the final report and will consult over coming weeks with the Victorian public, agencies and business and community groups affected by the Commission’s recommendations before formulating its response.

Mr Brumby said the Government had spoken to groups and organisations who said they would like the opportunity to contribute to the Government’s response to the recommendations made by the Royal Commission.

“There is a significant number of groups and organisations – including local government, volunteer fire fighters, environment groups, tourism groups, energy groups, health groups, building groups, community recovery committees – who want to be kept informed and express their views,” Mr Brumby said.

“We will be giving people impacted by the recommendations the opportunity to contribute. The views of the Victorian community will help to inform the Government’s response to the final report, to ensure that the concerns of the community are properly addressed.”

The Government will work to provide a full response to the final report within a few weeks and will release information about the implementation of immediate initiatives as needed.

Prior to the final report, the Victorian Government requested an interim report from the Royal Commission by 31 August, 2009 in order to consider recommendations before the 2009/10 bushfire season.

The Government has implemented a range of measures to improve Victoria’s preparation for, and response to, future bushfires.  These measures stem from both the Government’s response to the Bushfire Royal Commission’s interim recommendations and its own new measures.

In November last year, the Government engaged former Police Commissioner Neil Comrie AO APM to audit progress on its implementation of the Commission’s interim recommendations. 

Mr Comrie reported to the Royal Commission on the Government’s implementation progress on 31 March this year. Mr Comrie concluded that:

  • There was a strong commitment to implementation across Government;
  • Good progress had been made overall;
  • The overall outcome of the Government’s significant investment and activity was that Victoria was now significantly better prepared to respond to bushfires than it was in February 2009;
  • Timelines for some projects were overly optimistic and much work remained to be done; and
  • Given the mercifully benign summer, a number of the new systems and processes were yet to be “stress tested” by extreme events.

 

The Victorian Government today delivered a further update on its progress implementing each of the Royal Commission’s interim recommendations. That update is available on the Premier’s website at www.premier.vic.gov.au

In addition, the following is an update on actions the Government and its agencies have undertaken since Black Saturday to improve Victoria’s capacity to prepare for and respond to future bushfires.

Community Information

  • Adopted the new national Fire Danger Rating system with a Catastrophic-Code Red rating for forecast condition with a Fire Danger Index greater than 100. Victoria is actively participating in the current national review of this system;
  • Refined and developed emergency management plans for Code Red days across a range of government services, including health and residential care, schools and children’s services;
  • Increased the surge capacity of the Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) and in the most recent budget invested a further $3.1 million in VBIL’s surge capacity; and
  • Commissioned and completed the first stage of research on developing a new fire severity scale to better describe the power of a fire and its potential impact on communities than the existing fire danger rating systems.

 

Prepare, Stay and Defend or Leave Early

  • Conducted the State’s first ever Fire Action Week in October 2009. Fire Action Week is scheduled for October this year;
  • Increased the number of Community Fire Guard groups to almost 1000 with 259 new groups formed and held 2046 community Fire Ready meetings – more than double the numbering the previous fire season;
  • Extensively revised publications and programs to assist the community in how to prepare for, and what to do in the event of, bushfires;
  • Distributed more than 265,000 Fire Ready kits to residents in high risk bushfire areas together with an additional 83,000 kits to residents in bushfire prone areas;
  • Published Fire Action Week supplements in metropolitan and regional newspapers across Victoria on the critical need to prepare for the fire season;
  • Ran a large Summer Fire Campaign on television and radio and through outdoor advertising and the print media;
  • Created a Household Bushfire Self Assessment tool (HBSAT) (available on line, as a CD-ROM and printed Workbook) to assist residents in their bushfire survival planning;
  • Appointed 10 Bushfire Safety Officers to assist residents to use the HBSAT and undertake individual property assessments;
  • Ran 1,061 Brigades in School sessions aimed at increasing students’ understanding of bushfires and how they can assist in getting ready for bushfire season;
  • Trained spokespeople from 29 culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds on the revised messages to reach the non-English speaking community, published safety materials in 32 different languages and ran an extensive SBS and community radio campaign;
  • Developed and distributed safety publications aimed at tourists in high risk bushfire areas;
  • In the most recent budget, the Government allocated $41.8m over two years for the CFA to continue to help communities better prepare themselves for bushfires; and
  • Committed $9.1 million over four years in the 2010 State Budget to a CFA program to support and advise private land owners, local councils and government agencies on vegetation management.

 

Warnings

  • Led the national development of Emergency Alert, which enables warnings to be sent to fixed line phones and mobile phones by billing address in a selected geographic area.  Stage 2 of this project is underway and is currently assessing feasibility of sending messages to mobile phones based on location;
  • Amended the Country Fire Authority Act 1958 to make the Chief Officer responsible for the issuing warnings and community information about bushfire risks;
  • Adopted the new national three tier bushfire advice and alerts system;
  • Developed the One Source-One Message software tool to enable Incident Controllers to send warnings concurrently to a variety of outlets – the media, fire agency web-sites and Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) operators;
  • Entered into agreements with ABC Radio, all commercial radio broadcasters, Sky TV News and the community radio broadcaster, UGFM, to broadcast emergency information.  Negotiations with free-to-air TV broadcasters and other community radio stations are continuing;
  • Issued a new protocol for the broadcast of the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before emergency warnings in appropriate circumstances;
  • Released guidelines for developing community arrangements for the use of CFA or other sirens as a bushfire alerting device;
  • Developed customised FaceBook and free official iPhone applications to assist community members, particularly young people, to gauge their level of fire readiness and to communicate important information on fire danger ratings and warnings on going fires; and
  • In the 2010 State Budget, the Government invested another $28.5 million over four years to upgrade and improve bushfire warnings, intelligence gathering and analysis and alerting capability (including for Emergency Alert).

 

Risk and Refuge

  • Developed Township Protection Plans for 52 high risk areas across the state and a further 14 communities;
  • 94 Neighbourhood Safer Places have been designated in partnership with local councils;
  • Completed the Victorian Fire Risk Register assessment process in 37 municipalities, which is a critical aid in local fire management planning, with a further 21 to be completed before the next fire season;
  • Released a public Discussion Paper as part of the process to develop a new Community Fire Refuge policy;
  • Reviewed school refuges and undertook remedial works;
  • Made new Building regulations incorporating standards for private bushfire shelters;
  • Applied the Wildfire Management Overlays to areas covered by 18 planning schemes and updated the existing WMO coverage in a further eight planning schemes;
  • Constructed extensive strategic fuel breaks to protect Melbourne’s water catchments and communities and catchments in the Otways;
  • Introduced the “10/30 rule” to simplify residents’ entitlements to reduce fuel loads around their homes; and
  • Provided $41m in the 2010 State Budget to increase bushfire resistance of school buildings in high risk areas.

 

Emergency and Incident Management

  • Revised the Command, Control and Coordination arrangements;
  • Amended the Emergency Management Act and Emergency Management Manual to facilitate these new management arrangements (with the fire agencies revising their agreements and joint operating procedures to embed those changes);
  • Upgraded the layout, seating capacity and ICT infrastructure in the State Control Centre;
  • Developed new arrangements for pre-positioning Incident Management Teams (IMTs) to strategic locations on dangerous fire risk days.  (The fire agencies are currently reviewing these arrangements with a view to improving them for future fire seasons);
  • Installed new equipment, information technology and transmission links in 43 Incident Control Centres across the State.  All these centres are fully operational with some minor technical works that will be completed before the next fire season;
  • Installed two satellite down links for fire detection line scanners in aircraft to improve transmission of data from the fire ground to incident control centres;
  • Augmented IMT capacity during the 2009-10 bushfire season with three deployments of IMT specialists from the US and Canada;
  • Trained an additional 60 ground observers to provide critical intelligence on fire behaviour to inform both operation planning and community warnings;
  • Trialled (and currently evaluating) the use of a Very Large Air Tanker;
  • Built on the substantial investment in improving emergency service communications ($563.5m to date with a further $547.5m committed through to 2014-15);
  • Improved the coverage and capacity of pagers carried by CFA staff and volunteers to allow for emergency messages to continue to be received quickly, and non-emergency messages to be received more quickly than before, by improving the configuration of messages and message groups;
  • Finalised a new State Emergency Services Communications Strategic Framework to guide future investment in strengthening voice, alerting and data communications and further integrating call-taking and dispatch into these systems;
  • Developed new guidelines for managing roadblocks during bushfires;
  • Created new arrangements for relief centre operations in emergencies;
  • Reviewed and revised the State Health Emergency Response Plan to ensure a coordinated response to the management of emergencies’ impact on community health;  
  • Invested a further $35.4 million over four years in the 2010 State Budget in training of IMT personnel; and
  • Initiated boundary realignments among emergency services organisations (VicPol, CFA).

 

Emergency Calls

  • Provided greater surge capacity for ESTA for dangerous fire risk days through the installation of 15 additional workstations and related ICT and cross-training police call-takers at the Ballarat Centre and installing 3 additional workstations at the Tall Ho Centre;
  • Implemented arrangements to formally advise the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) and Telstra Triple Zero of forecast severe weather so they can take appropriate staffing action;
  • Endorsed the National Protocol for Pre-recorded, State-based Tailored Voice Announcements for activation during extreme events.

 

Recovery

  • Cleaned up more than 3000 destroyed properties at no cost to residents;
  • Appointed 394 case management positions to provide personal support and access to services to 5,500 cases in fire affected communities;
  • Made 11,213 grants ($23 million) to assist affected people manage immediately after Black Saturday as well as help with temporary living expenses and re-establish their accommodation;
  • Established a network of Community Service Hubs as “one stop shops” in fire affected communities, which at their peak were receiving up to 1,000 visits per week;
  • Streamlined planning process for replacement buildings and established volunteer programs to provide free bushfire attack level assessments and a Rebuilding Advisory Service and Centres;
  • Made over 23,000 payments to affected residents and communities from the $391 million Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund;
  • Established four temporary villages and provided donated caravans and free toilets and showers to people whose homes were destroyed;
  • Provided over 10,000 vouchers through the Appeal Fund for counselling with over 2,400 people having obtained counselling;
  • Established 12 Bereaved Support Groups, each with professional support being offered and over 110 people receiving specific grief or bereavement counselling;
  • Rebuilding and replacing destroyed Government infrastructure including police and CFA facilities and three primary schools;
  • Supported and funded over 500 community-led projects such as restoring local halls and community centres;
  • Coordinated and distributed 21,000 pallets of material aid and $8 million of high value goods (such as store vouchers) and matched more than 100 projects with corporate or philanthropic supporters;
  • Progressed environmental activities such as reseeding burnt forests, reopening parks and visitor sites and replacing picnic facilities, walking tracks and directional signage; and
  • Supported economic recovery through a $10 million Tourism Industry Support package, establishment of the Marysville Central retail precinct, small business grants and mentoring and $10 million Business Investment Fund; and
  • Committed $193 million with the Australian Government for rebuilding initiatives to drive the economic, social and environmental recovery of bushfire-affected communities with rebuilding priorities for each community which has been identified by those communities.

Comments are closed.