Posted on 15. Oct, 2010 in Clayton Update

Sporting and community clubs across the Clayton electorate are set to benefit from changes to liquor licence fees, Member for Clayton Hong Lim announced today.

Eligible clubs in the Clayton electorate include Springvale Recreation Club, Springvale RSL, Clayton RSL, Commonwealth, Huntingdale, Metropolitan & Spring ValleyGolf Clubs,  Monash University Club and the South Oakleigh Bowling Club.

Mr Lim said the Brumby Labor Government would introduce fee discounts for eligible small clubs ahead of a full review of club licensing arrangements and fees next year.

Mr Lim said the interim measures meant:

  • Clubs with restricted club or renewable limited licences with fewer than 100 members will be given a 50 per cent reduction on 2011 renewal fees;
  • Clubs holding both a restricted club licence and a renewable limited licence will be eligible to apply for a discount of 50 per cent on each licence for the 2011 fee year; 
  • Where clubs require additional temporary limited licences they will be able to apply for one licence that authorises up to 12 separate activities or events in a year;
  • Full club licensees wishing to move to a restricted club licence will have their variation fee waived. Clubs that make this transfer would reduce their 2011 renewal fee from $812.70 to $405.80 and save $174.70 on the variation fee.


Eligibility for discounts will depend on a sound compliance history.

Mr Lim said the discounts and review of clubs licensing conditions were part of the Brumby Labor Government ongoing reform of the liquor licensing system.

“We understand how important local clubs are to the life of our communities and that’s why we are refining the liquor licensing requirements that apply to them, to help small clubs reduce their running costs so they can invest more in their members,” he said.

Mr Lim also encouraged Victoria’s clubs to examine their operations and determine whether they had the right licence because there were cases clubs were holding expensive licences that did not reflect their business operations.

“Clubs in Victoria can hold a range of different licences.  Large clubs may hold a full club licence, while smaller clubs may hold restricted club, renewable limited or temporary limited licences,” he said.

“Those clubs that sell a very small amount of liquor and operate during limited trading hours should certainly look at whether they are in the right and most economical licence category.”

For more information about fee discounts and liquor licensing, contact Responsible Alcohol Victoria on 1300 650 367.

Comments are closed.